Sunday, January 22, 2012

Scenery

I haven't posted for awhile because life has just been crazy!! In the last 30 days we have celebrated Christmas, bought a house, gone to the rose bowl, had two a day practices and went to Nationals. All that craziness then I sprain my back 3 days after being home. I have pretty much been confined to the house and the couch/bed for the last 4 days and will take around 2 weeks to heal. I have been somewhat down in the dumps about it, but yesterday I realized something. I think it took this injury for me to just slow down and appreciate what is going on around me.

Have you ever noticed grandparents fondly gazing at their families? They seem to take in every single second around them; absorbing the warmth around them. They appreciate the importance of every laugh, hug and smile from those around them. I felt like that grandparent yesterday. All I could do was sit back and watch what was going on around me....the "craziness" that I am usually trying to take care of; pets being fed, diapers being changed, laundry, cleaning etc. I watched your daddy taking care of all of that while you followed him around trying to help him. I realized how important even those little moments are and how important those day to day tasks are to keep the house running.

As I sat there like a grandparent taking in the scenery, I realized this whole back issue was a blessing in disguise...I needed to stop and watch the beautiful scenery to continue to appreciate it.

“We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.” -Nicolas Sparks



No comments:

Post a Comment